Director of Housing Operations
The Housing Authority of the City of Prichard (HACP) is currently accepting applications for a Director of Housing Operations.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Under the supervision of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Director of Housing Operations will be responsible for overall operation of the Public Housing, RAD PBRA, Multifamily, and market rate programs. Performs a variety of complex and diverse managerial, supervisory, and administrative duties to ensure the effective and efficient leasing of properties and program implementation. Develops and revises policies, procedures, and plans to ensure and maintain program compliance with HUD's changing regulations and guidelines and makes administrative and management decisions concerning overall operations of applicable plans. Responsible for the Agency receiving at least a satisfactory rating concerning HUD agency scoring systems such as Public Housing Assessment System (PHAS), and other future HUD required evaluation systems. The duties listed below illustrate the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements regarding duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment in association with this position.
EQUIPMENT/POSITION LOCATION: This position is located at the principal office of the Prichard Housing Authority. The occupant of this position must be able to operate a computer, calculator and a variety of general office equipment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
- Plans, directs, manages, and monitors the management of the Agency's Public Housing properties and ensures properties are fiscally sound and managed effectively and efficiently. Ensures departmental activities are in compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws and meet the performance requirements of HUD's Public Housing Assessment System (PHAS) and Agency policies, procedures, and quality standards.
- Plans, directs, manages, and monitors the management of the Agency's RAD PBRA Housing properties and ensures properties are fiscally sound and managed effectively and efficiently. Ensures departmental activities are in compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws and meet the performance requirements of HUD's Multifamily and Agency policies, procedures, and quality standards.
- Implements policies, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and activities in the housing programs to meet the goals and objectives of the Agency and its mission. Assures staff understands and abides by said policies and procedures. Assures compliance with HUD requirements.
- Ensures timely and accurate preparation and submission of all required reporting to include Board monthly report, PIC, PHAS, Agency Plan, Regulatory Updates, Audits, Management Reviews and all critical agency reports.
- Develop and implement a quality control system to monitor program functions including auditing of resident files and inspecting units to ensure compliance with Real Estate Assessment Center (REAC) standards.
- Identifies long term strategic and financial goals for all of HACP's properties; develops and administers the agency's overall Asset Management goals, objectives and procedures.
- Prepares individual asset management plans for each property, including long-term capital needs and financing strategies that reflect HACP's mission and financial goals.
- Monitors and maintains 20-year replacement schedules for RAD and other multifamily properties in conjunction with maintenance.
- Develop, make effective and maintain consistent coordination at all levels, including other departments involving housing management and budgetary responsibilities.
- Assess the needs of the properties and housing programs on an on-going basis and adjust the workloads and schedules accordingly. Schedule staff as needed to ensure all work is completed. Assure adequate supervision in cases of absence. Develop and monitor work schedules of all housing management staff.
- Reviews files and Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) contracts.
Monitors overall compliance with rules and regulations pertaining to Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspections and ensures timely completion of inspections as required.
- Directs, plans and manages the applications process to ensure the timely and accurate processing of new applicants from the programs waiting lists; oversees appropriate checks and balances on applicant processing. Oversees admissions activities such as: preparation of contracts for new tenants, tenant orientations, showing units, etc.
- Regularly reviews HUD and Agency rules and procedures to ensure accuracy of audits/reviews to ensure that Agency quality standards become visible, repeatable, and measurable.
- Responsible for strategic planning, developing, implementing, and administering overall goals and responsibilities by actively leading, managing, and developing a culture of continuous improvement to ensure revenue and performance are consistent with agreed targets.
- Collects, reviews, and evaluates monthly, quarterly, and annual site information reports, such as demographic data, turnover data, etc. Projects turnover on a continuing basis to ensure a sufficient stream of participants is in process to fully utilize available funding and maximize program administration fees.
- Directs and provides guidance to subordinates in the development and implementation of policies to ensure all procedures are in compliance with HUD guidelines and local housing regulations, and that interviews, eligibility processes, maintenance of waiting lists for appropriate bedroom size, inspections, re-examinations, preparation of contracts, etc., are in accordance with the Agency's rules, policies, and procedures, and are completed in a timely and professional manner.
- Monitors selection of residents to ensure compliance with federal requirements concerning management of the waiting list, selection preferences, income mixing and targeting, and other requirements.
- Provides guidance and develops policy on 504 issues. Reviews HUD 50058 and 50059 forms. Reviews resident files for quality control.
- Interacts with Agency staff, residents/participants, and the general public to ensure compliance and responds to inquiries regarding fraud and abuse. Monitors monthly rent collection and fraud recovery processes with collections personnel and/or Property Managers to ensure appropriate follow up and resolution. Coordinates, as necessary, with Agency to pursue legal remedies to rent and fee collections and issues of fraud. Participates in hearings and appeals as needed.
- Monitors the physical conditions of Agency housing properties and makes certain they are maintained in marketable condition.
- Supervises staff, providing ongoing assistance to support a positive and productive working environment. Approves and oversees the selection, employment, training, direction, supervision, utilization, discipline, and termination of department employees and makes recommendations for other personnel-related activities. Sets standards, frameworks, performance indicators and protocols, identifying necessary responses to overcome performance issues and take appropriate action where required.
- Meets with appropriate staff to identify and address issues contributing to any errors that affect the department's overall performance, and to discuss ways to rectify those issues to ensure long-term success of the Agency. Makes appropriate revisions to internal, residential/tenant, and financial processing procedures as appropriate and necessary.
- Coordinates with Property Managers to ensure progressive, coordinated safety, crime prevention, and fear-reduction strategies and services are effectively implemented to guard against theft, vandalism, violence, or other threats against Agency employees and/or residents.
- Responsible for ensuring that correct procurement and requisitions for services, materials, and supplies are coordinated with procurement staff in accordance with Agency procedures. Monitors all received shipments are correct, allocated to the proper AMP, and that staff reviews packing slips to verify quantity and quality of items prior to approval of payment.
- Handles documents on a variety of general personal and technical topics of a highly confidential nature and maintains the confidentiality of all documents and information received by or in the possession of the employee.
- Assists staff and/or participates in informal hearings for applicants who have been denied housing assistance who are contesting actions which are alleged to adversely affect rates and/or agreements and renders decisions based on HUD and Agency rules, procedures, and guidelines.
- Coordinates with Resident Services and Capital Improvements on relocation efforts or tenants affected by modernization and development services.
- Reviews informal hearing decisions to verify appropriateness, effects on applicants, and degree of employee participation in and awareness of quality standards in all Agency processes.
- Plans and conducts in-depth reviews of departmental records and files. The process includes ensuring appropriate forms are signed and dated, calculations are correct, required documentation is current, and all assets and liabilities accounted for.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, or participating in professional organizations as appropriate.
- Participates in community activities and functions relevant to Agency objectives and participates in appropriate community service organization(s) activities.
- Accountable for consistent adherence to strong Agency standards regarding the ethical, responsible, and appropriate use, care, and safeguarding of Agency materials, supplies, resources, and other assets. Identifies long term strategic and financial goals for all of HACP's properties; develops and administers the agency's overall Asset Management goals, objectives and procedures.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in business, public administration, or a closely related field from an accredited college or university. Five (5) years of relevant, progressively responsible administrative, supervisory, managerial, or closely related duties involving administrative and/or operational duties with a federally assisted or public housing Agency/property management company, or closely related responsibilities in other similar fields or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience resulting in the ability to fulfill the essential job duties of the position
ANNUAL SALARY: $78,000.00
Completed applications should also include a cover letter and resume. Fax or email applications will NOT be accepted. No phone calls. Only qualified applications will be considered.
The Housing Authority of the City of Prichard (HACP) is subject to HUD Section 3 hiring requirements; is an Equal Opportunity and "At Will" Employer; E-Verify participant; and Drug-Free Workplace. HACP abides by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-741.5(a) which prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability or protected veteran status; and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. Pre-employment physical and drug screen required for new hires.
HACP is an active member of the Retirement System of Alabama.